Behind the name “Maddes” stands the recording project of Matthias Roos (Saarbrücken/Germany), an active multi-instrumentalist, singer/songwriter and producer since the late 90s. For his most recent EP “Tools of No Use” (Aerostat Records), a mixture of Indie, Electro, Dream Pop and Jazz, Roos collaborated with engineers Julian Lowe (Björk, dEUS, …), Filippo Gaetani (Papermoon, Andy Bell, …), Fraser Smith (Little Man Tate, Shed Seven, …) and Marco Divic (Soft Plastic). For “Close to Something” Berlin singer Eva Stock (Bikini Jesus) was taken on board.
The five different songs were all recorded and produced at home and in project studios by Roos himself. His soft mellow voice is carried by playful rhythmic and multi-layered arrangements consisting of drums, guitars and synths. There is a touch of melancholy blowing between the dreamy lyrics and open harmonies, broken by unexpected turns from time to time.
The video for “Rounded Corners” with visual impressions of Japan was produced by director Ruben Kempter (Boysetsfire, …).
Already in 2014 Maddes released his debut album “Fielded” (Aerostat/Rayrecordings) on his own independent label with sound mastering from engineer Alex Wharton (Abbey Road Studios, The Beatles, The Pixies, …).
Musical influences or parallels are most likely to be found in The Postal Service, Kings of Convenience, The Notwist, Mike Kinsella, Maritime, Coldplay, Nada Surf, Elliott Smith, …
- EP “Tools of No Use” (Aerostat Records), collaboration with F. Gaetani, F. Smith and J. Lowe
- radio single rotation “Rounded Corners”, Germany and Austria – DLF Kultur et al.
- radio interviews – SR1 Unser Ding, Eldoradio
- magazine interviews – C-Heads Magazine, That New Music Blog
- video feature “Rounded Corners” – C-Heads Magazine, Atomlabor Blog
- song of the day “Rounded Corners” – Sounds and Books Magazine
- Spotify Playlist “Rounded Corners” – That New Music Blog
- EP Review – Der Haubentaucher
- artwork feature – Popmonitor
- SoundCloud Music Feature “Close to Something” – asongaday.co
- YouTube Video Feature “All” – indietronica.org
- movie soundtrack for “One Year Later” (Karthoum Productions)
- remix releases by various German artists (Aerostat Records)
- debut EP “All In Due Course” (Aerostat Records)
Soft Plastic – Drums
Captain Volleyball – Drums, Songwriting, Producing
The Peterman Project – Vocals
The Autumn Art Festival – Drums
chambre¿chambre – Drums, Vocals, Songwriting, Producing
Any Ghost– Drums, Guitars, Keyboard/Synth, Producing